Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Climbing

We had a great Christmas day. It began with a leisurely start (as most days seem to) and we headed for a local crag. I was getting particularly itchy ‘fingers’ as we had only clocked up four very chilled days of climbing in the first 3 weeks of the trip (My biggest climbing drought for months, maybe years!). This was mainly due to some cold/wet weather and lots of days driving south. We found a crag with some good climbs for Jon and Helen to play on and Claire and I started with some nice F6’s in the sun. I soon got inspired by an awesome looking route taking an improbable line up a gently overhanging white wall. The F7b+ was a great climb on pretty small holds. I went for the onsight, but chose the wrong sequence on the crux moves, and came flying off. However, I later dispatched the route on the first red-point attempt. The video of the crux sequence is below – the main challenge was not getting blown off the wall (look at the extenders swinging in the wind). It looks like I’m having a tough time crawling along the floor! We don’t have any video software yet, so please find a way to rotate your head/screen by 90 degrees!

No comments: