Thursday, October 18, 2012

Val di Mello




Simon and Iain, two good friends of ours, are currently on a three week road trip.  We decided to go and meet them for some climbing at Val Di Mello in Italy.  The 65 mile journey took over 3 hours; mainly due to hundreds of hairpin bends and many Italian villages.  Juan did admirably and chugged his way over the 2100m pass. 

It was great to meet up with Simon and Iain and we enjoyed catching up over some climbing and beers. 
Val di Mello is a stunning valley flanked by dramatic craggy peaks.  The climbing is great fun and generally comprises interesting moves. 

I had a slightly bad fall, but was lucky to just come off with a stiff neck.  I was trying to mantle out the top of a problem and deployed all friction possible – including dragging my jeans as close to the rock as possible.  I was confident that I had nearly rocked it out, when unexpectedly my hand slipped!  Unfortunately, my foot stayed on and I pivoted backwards.  Simon, who was spotting, was taken by surprise also and found himself confronted by a ‘Jase’ flying towards him.  I clattered into Simon and landed on my arse on the floor, completely missing the foam pads!  I suffered mild whiplash and got straight back on the problem.  After a few more (better) falls I topped the problem out.  {Video to follow…}

No comments: