Sunday, February 20, 2011

Mula and hot baths....

Just been to a cool little crag near Mula (near Murcia). Not that well known and mostly frequented by the local Spanish climbers. The rock is really featured and amazing to climb on. It is mostly very steep on unbelievably large holds - apart from the cruxes! I did one 6c+ which followed 45 degree overhanging rock for 15+ metres! It had incredibly large holds, but still proved very pumpy, with the crux roof right at the end!

My finger is improving, but still not perfect, so Mula was the ideal place to 'train my weaknesses'! Decided to try a super steep 7b! The onsight didn't go that well - I climbed like a fool and got very tired. However, I so nearly got it on my first redpoint attempt; falling from the last move - a long throw for a good hold. Unfortunatley, this move thwarted me on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th redpoint attempts! This was a record number of tries for me on a 7b, and this move just wasn't happening! I was, however, very pleased that my fitness was allowing me to have so many goes on such a steep route. On my last and 6th redpoint attempt I tried another method (copied from a spanich guy) - this was more static, but on much smaller holds. Unfortunately this didn't work, I was too tired... However, I was super determined to give it everything, so reversed 3 moves, chalked and made a final wild throw for the hold (using my original method). Somehow (in my utterly wasted state) I made the move! A lot of work for one cake point, but great training!

Mula felt more like the 'authentic' Spanish climbing experience... A crag full of Spanish climbers (not over-run with brits!), who we're very friendly and fun to climb with.

Mula had other hidden treasures... The nearby Banos de Mula had many baths fed by natural hot spring water! The little village of Banos de Mula was full of 'Bathing Houses' which rented out large hot baths by the hour! Yes, that's right, they have a variety of different sized private rooms, with varying sized baths. We opted for the Hidro Massaje bath and enjoyed the healing power of the natural minerals! An authentic Spanish experience.

1 comment: