Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cake points and injuries…

Claire and I are currently battling it out in a hotly contested ‘cake point’ contest. Cake points are gained by climbing routes of a certain grade. Claire gets cake points for climbing routes at f6b and above and I get points for routes f7b and above. The minimum route grade for cake points is based on our recent onsight grades, and takes into account injuries! Claire gets one cake point for climbing a f6b redpoint (after practice) and 2 cake points for climbing it onsight/flash (first go). Then at f6b+, 2 cake points for redpoint and 4 for onsight/flash and so on. Therefore the onsight/flash gains double the points of the redpoint. I get one point for a f7b redpoint and so on.

Six weeks into a road trip we aren’t exactly racking up loads of cake points… Claire has 2 with one f6b+ redpoint and I have 2 with a f7b+ redpoint. We have been climbing quite a lot recently, but we are both using the old excuse of injuries! Claire’s 18+ month old shoulder injury is still nagging, but the good news is that it is definitely improving and Claire is starting to climb harder and more frequently. I just have the lame excuse of some sore pulleys in a couple of my fingers, which is only minor but seems to be niggling and stopping me from pulling hard on crimps!

So we are currently level pegging and things are sure to hot up in this thrilling contest of woman and beast! (May the best woman win – erm sorry I mean person obviously. Claire =)

No comments: