Friday, November 30, 2012

Fuerte a Muerte…!


Or in English… Strong until Death!  We’ve now been in Albarracin for a week and we’re both looking for longer term projects to try and send during our time here.  I’ve been trying various 7C’s, 7C+’s and even the odd 8A to find suitable candidates. 

I’m particularly psyched by the line Fuerte a Muerte.  The problem is situated on a stunning boulder in the Arrastradero sector of Albarracin.  The boulder is a 30-40 degree overhanging face, however, it is not smooth, instead it is punctuated by many sculptural curving ledges and edges.  Normally, these would provide many holds and facilitate easy climbing, but on this boulder the ledges are usually sloping and not always orientated in a useful way!  Last year I climbed two other lines (Ineschakra and Manuchakra) on the boulder, but didn’t entertain the thought of trying Fuerte a Muerte.   Fuerte a Muerte is graded 8A (albeit a soft one) and is considerably harder than any boulder problem I’ve climbed previously.  However, it is a stunning line and looks like it will climb really well.  The problem starts to the right of Manuchakra, climbs into the start of Manuchakra and traverses left to finish up Ineschakra.  The problem is pure power endurance, with no easy moves and a very hard cruz sequence about two thirds of the way through.

My first goal was to see if I can even get close to doing the moves.  The crux move is known for being a particularly brutal shoulder move – those who climb with me will know I like brutal shoulder moves!  I managed to do most of the moves in my first session, but (surprise, surprise) was struggling to do the brutal crux moves.  The crux involves reaching up for a small right hand crimp and then moving rightwards into a left hand gaston.  The problem is holding the rotation of the body and usually involves a dynamic throw into the left shoulder gaston.  I was just about to give up on the crux when I thought I’d try to deploy more technique, as I was struggling with the usual brute strength method which I’d seen many others use.  I tweaked the position of my hips and managed to balance my body so that I could reach the right hand crimp statically and in control.  A further movement of the hips (and pulling quite hard) allowed me to reach comfortably into the left hand gaston.  Fantastic, I’d done the crux moves on Fuerte a Muerte!  I rested for a few minutes and repeated the crux moves again (to check it wasn’t a fluke!).  I’d managed to do all the moves in the first session, which is certainly a big step towards sending the problem! 

The problem is by no means done and is it still going to take a mammoth effort to link all the moves.  I hope to be able to climb it in two halves during the next session…

No comments: